Monday, August 10, 2015

Stage Seven - Original Editorial 2

Coming soon to a State Capitol near you:
THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING GOVERNMENT!!!!!

I would hope that our lawmakers would find cutting a number of (what I see as) extraneous programs is the best way to go about their next legislative session and to reduce the scope of our state government to be as small as possible.  Understanding that the last sentence was chock full of subjectivity, I plan to outline a small number of objective points for my plan forthwith (I really wanted to use the word forthwith).

-  Eliminate any and all financial need based programs (e.g. TexCare Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), Comprehensive Energy Assistance Program (CEAP), Medicaid, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), etc.)
-  Decriminalize possession of any amount of marijuana under 30 grams throughout the state in an effort to reduce the burden on the judicial system and the police departments.
-  Begin transitioning to Volunteer Fire Departments throughout the state.
-  Outsource all road repairs to private companies.

These are a few of my least favorite things regarding the bloat of our state government.  I understand that some may have a fear that if the financial need based programs are taken away the crime rate will skyrocket.  I trust that it probably will, initially, but that noise will calm and life will go on.  To help ease the transition to a charityless government, private organizations would be encouraged to pick up the slack or if they choose not to, that would also work as I feel that charitable assistance should be completely disavowed from government connection.

I feel that people, overall, need an attitude adjustment regarding what they can do for themselves as opposed to what someone else can do for them (Yeah, yeah.  I know it sounds kinda like President Kennedy).  We're all in this together and if we want real change we all have to be involved in making changes work.

2 comments:

  1. In reading this original editorial posted by Texas is as Texas does, Coming soon to a State Capitol near you: THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING GOVERNMENT!!!!!, I was a little taken back. While I agree that yes changes and limits on some things could help our state I absolutely disagree in a charityless government.



    If any and all of the financial based need programs were eliminated so many people would go without. I am a firm believer in stricter regulations for receiving assistance or charity but eliminating it is extreme. It is impossible for people making minimum wage to survive while living on their own, much less raising a family. Of course there is always the argument that people shouldn’t have a family if they are unable to provide for them, which I agree with, but some people are a victim of circumstance. Numerous people use these programs and aren’t happy about. For example a well educated person that is unexpectedly laid off and then spends months trying to find another job that is getting by working some low paying job which doesn’t even cover their basic needs. Or people that actually do work and make a decent living but the cost for medical coverage through their employer is half of their pay check. Obamacare is crap and doesn’t really help that much. Crime is the least of my concerns if our legislature were to eliminate these programs. My concern would be the millions of dying and starving residents. It is nice to think that private organizations would assist in a transition of this magnitude, but would they actually do it or even have the means to do it? I agree that people do need to do more for themselves but what about the people that are doing the best can and have no other option. Sadly life isn’t fair and while it would be absolutely amazing if we could make a change of this magnitude I don’t see it becoming a reality.



    I do however agree with the decriminalization of marijuana. I think that would be a smart move on our government’s part. They could even tax it to raise revenue while alleviating the burden.



    Volunteer fire departments aren’t a bad idea. It’s not like we have fires all the time, but fire fighters need to eat too and they need health coverage. I would expect that these volunteers would have to have a paying job too. What would happen if they were hurt while volunteering? Would they be able to continue to work? If not, how will they provide for themselves financially?



    Outsourcing road repairs aren’t a bad idea from a resident’s perspective. That might help get repairs done faster. Would it actually cost the state less money? How many people would be out of jobs?

    As if it isn’t obvious the first idea is what took me back. Nice piece of work, definitely gave me something to write about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input. And I don't think they'll be "millions of dying and starving residents" as the human spirit and will to survive are fairly strong in most everyone. The only way to find out is to stop funding the aid programs. Either way, my issue is with the forced donation to the government's charity programs. That is a freedom we should keep.

      Delete